Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Make this tonight for dinner

I looooove Thai food. Probably not the best love affair to have but whateves.

I was in instant heaven when I found this amazing red curry noodle recipe. I had to make it ASAP because I couldn't stop thinking about it. I know, I know crazy weird love for Thai food.

I took this dish to a friend's get together and I came home with an empty bowl. The picky pregnant lady in the group kept going for more. That's when I knew I hit a jack pot of a recipe.

Red Curry Coconut Noodles
Adapted from The Tasty Kitchen
Serves 4
Ingredients:
* 1 pound of chicken (or other protein of choice)
* 1 can of coconut milk
* 1 teaspoon of red curry paste (more if you prefer it to be spicier)
* 1/2 tablespoon of fresh ginger (grated)
* 1 tablespoon of fresh cilantro (chopped)
* 2 tablespoons of sweet Thai chili sauce
* 2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
* 1/2 package of rice noodles (flat, medium sized)
* 1/2 white onion (julienne)
* 1 red bell pepper (julienne)
* 1 cup of broccoli slaw
* teaspoon of peanut butter (optional)
* salt to taste
Directions:
1) Start with a large pot over medium-high heat. Scoop the cream off the top of the coconut milk, and put into the pot. The cream will be used as the “fat” instead of oil or butter. Along with the cream, add the curry paste and ginger. Let this simmer for 1 minute.

2) Add the chicken and cook through. To the cooked chicken  add the rest of the coconut milk, sweet Thai chili sauce, cilantro, salt, peanut butter (optional) and chicken broth. Bring this to a simmer.

3)Add your julienned veggies and rice noodles. Simmer this. You will see the broth slowly thicken as the rice noodles absorb it. It should only take about 5 minutes for the rice noodles to be cooked through. If the noodles are not cooked through add a bit more broth and cook for 5 minutes longer.

4)Pull the pot off the heat, and let sit for about 5 minutes. It will thicken during this time. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
I found the rice noodles, red curry, coconut milk and the Thai sweet chili sauce in the Asian food aisle. If you live in Seattle, go to Central Market or an Asian market for cheaper options.

1 Grass Lovers:

Anonymous said...

this looks yummy! beautiful layout for this post.