Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Gem State

At the first of the month The Cute Boy and I headed to Idaho for a family get together and to meet the newest member of the family.


After 13 hours of driving, going through Montana for the first time, and a speeding ticket (DANG you Adams County!), we finally arrived to the land of babies and rolling hills.

One of the Mister's sisters had her first child- Baby T.  He's a fat cheeked little dude that looks exactly like his dad. Almost a carbon copy.

I whipped up some awesome onsies (along with some other handmade goods) for him the night before. I stayed up way past my bedtime... Perfectionism and procrastination do not mix well together. I think he looks pretty cute in the one he is sporting though. I'm a rockstar!


While we were there we went to the Rexburg, ID Temple. When I attended BYU-I  seven years ago, it wasn't there. Rexburg has changed a lot since then.

The Temple was stunning. I loved the work that we did and the incredible feeling that both I and the Mister had. We did sealings for my great great grandparents. Their spirits were felt and it was a beautiful experience, it still remains with me.

 The Cute boy, his very similar looking brother, and I went to visit their great grandmother. She recently turned 100 years old and is as delightful as ever!

She shared stories galore and even showed us a birthday card that she got from President Obama. She had a hard time pronouncing his name. hehe! I don't know when the next time I will be able to see her, it was a bittersweet visit. I left crying like a baby. I really love this lovely woman!

Other highlights of the trip were shopping at Down East Outfitters (I may have over done it with my purchases), a huge family dinner, a fruit slush from Sonic, a manicure with the youngest sister and new aunt (Carol you are super awesome!), craft night with the girlies, and a baby blessing right before we headed back home.

It was a super fast trip and it was great to see everyone. It was a sentimental trip...meeting the new and bidding farewell to others.

7 Grass Lovers:

Deanna said...

I love those cute onesies you made! I'm proud of your new-found sewing skills. You rock! The sky is so amazingly blue in that pic of the Rexburg temple. Stunning. How awesome that you got to do sealing for your great great grandparents. As far as Idaho, I'd rather live in Nigeria :) (I guess I'm no longer anonymous!)

kayjay said...

Layla, I am so glad that you are married to the "cute boy" and you are a part of our family. It was really nice seeing you both even if our time was short. Thanks for grabbing the Trader Joes' goodies for us. We would like to make another trip to your place sometime soon. love- K

Amiee said...

VERY cute onsies! And by the way, I'm in REXBURG! I know you said it was quick and you were with family but, next time if you ever make that forever long drive over here again when I'm here, it would be so much fun to see you! Glad you could visit the ever-so growing Rexburg. :)

Maggie Muggins said...

Those onesies are adorable. I laughed that you agree perfectionist + procrastinator is a terrible mix. Sounds like an awesome trip! Great photos!

The Dennett's said...

I don't even know how to tell you how much I LOVE the onsies you made for "Baby T" :) He's gonna wear the robot one next Sunday so I can show it off. you rock!

It really was a good visit and lovely to see my biggest brother and you :) sorry the drive was so long, but, I'd say it was worth it!

The Dennett's said...

by the way, there used to be some Denney's in our ward...I know these guys ^^^ are not the same ones, but maybe there's a relation? The girl was Megan Denney, and her husband's brother served with Jonathan in FA.

I dunno, its a small world so I thought I'd mention it :)

Holly said...

I love the onesies! I will most definitely be using these as inspiration!

Sounds like you had a fabulous trip. I love that you are connecting to your relatives, young, old and passed on. So sweet.