Friday, May 21, 2010

Dream a Little Dream

As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do.  - Zachary Scott

I've got a little secret to share with ya.

I'm 26 now (My magical age. Weird, right?) and for the last 2 years I've been sitting around waiting for one particular thing to happen. Going back and forth with decisions. What if this and what if that.

I've put dreams on hold because of one little idea (being a mom)  that may or may not happen for quite a bit of time. Besides I'm not sure I am even cut out for that job...at least not quite yet.

I feel incredibly lame. Or maybe grown up (now that I am 4 years away from 30)? 

So here is to no longer waiting around. I've got places to see, people to meet, and I'm on a mission to make some little and big dreams come true. No ifs, than or buts will get in the way. I need to stop being so practical sometimes.

I'm signing up for an econ class and maybe a calculus class. Wish me luck?

P.S. Lucy van Pelt, thanks for talking this over with me. That conversation has stuck with me for quite some time. I'm glad that you are my unofficial life coach :)

7 Grass Lovers:

Lucy van Pelt said...

Maybe I missed my true calling (haha!). You also need to remember that you've lived quite a bit in the last year. The rest of us didn't see London or France (or anyone's underpants).

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

You are fantastic. Good luck with school. Yay for good friends.

School isn't always the answer, as I am learning, but I think engaging the mind is good. It helps me figure out what I might really want. (though right now that is a Ph.D in Anthropology to study artifacts)

ixoj said...

Good luck! You'll be great no matter what you decide on.

Holli said...

I put a lot of my dreams on hold to have kids... and although they are frustrating to no end at times I wouldn't trade this experience for all the dreams I could dream. Besides, in another year or two they'll be old enough to come with me on all my dreams. What better than sharing dreams with the ones we love? To each her own though... good luck with your decision.

Megan said...

Layla, you are awesome! If you need help w/ your homework, you can come over and I can try to pull something from the dungeons of my brain where all econ and calc has been banished too!
ps- I started my MBA when I was 26. I finished it at 30 w/ a baby on my hip at graduation. Dreams and kids are not mutually exclusive. When it happens, you just figure it out.

Chris and Jonette said...

Yay for calculus! Have fun with that. Calculus really is what makes the world go round. If you need some refreshers for it, let me know. I haven't banished my calculus anywhere yet.

Wesley Thomas said...

i just read this after completing my last post on my blog. if you read it you'll find out my spin on what youve learned and what i am still learning. im glad youve come to this decision, its a huge one to make and a mindset you need to always embrace. i wish you all the luck in the world! :)