Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I have a Lemon and he Makes Lemonade


I'm such a perfectionist. I'm not even kidding. Last Saturday I spent 6 hours weeding a small patch of our yard because it had to be perfect. I couldn't leave a single weed behind. When Brock soon realized that it would take way over a week's worth of work for me to be satisfied with the yard, he forced me to quit and called a gardener. And I still protested and continued to weed. And I HATE weeding. Can you see my problem here?

I'm a perfectionist. I feel beyond dumb when I make stupid little mistakes.

With the stress of finding renters for our home, balancing work/church/friends/family and trying to keep all things in perfect order I had a serious melt down. I was so stressed out and felt like such a failure because things were not perfect. Just writing it out makes me chuckle.Why do I put myself through it is beyond me.

The other night I was telling Brock my failures and he quickly corrected me and reminded me that I wasn't a failure. He pointed out that in the last couple of months I have overcome many fears that I have had in the past. I've learned how to sew, drive on the insane Seattle interstate, traveled to Europe without him and began to really enjoy and love Relief Society.

He made me feel like a million bucks. Being the perfectionist that I am, I know that I married the perfect person for me.  He is pretty freakin' rad. And makes bread every morning. I'm so lucky.

6 Grass Lovers:

Deanna said...

I love that picture of you two. I am somewhat of a perfectionist too. Having kids has broken me a tad bit of that b/c I'm learning that you can't control/be perfect with your kids. They have minds of their own and will do what they want regardless. Maybe this comment has absolutely nothing to do with your post...

Nancy said...

You guys are a great couple! I'm glad that Brock married you so that we can be quasi-related, because I think you're awesome.

The Dennett's said...

I love this :) Brock is super cool like that. He tells me to keep striving at the things I love doing, even when I don't think I do them well.
And he's right! You have accomplished so much! My mom and I were just talking on the phone about it the other day actually- we were both saying how incredible it is that you take on challenges and make and *keep goals for yourself. Very inspiring.

Diana said...

Is Brock making bread in his flashforward? Bread every morning is quite a lot!
And, I LOVE YOU!

Tara said...

Layla, good to hear from you and see that you and Brock are doing well!

(Oh and I have the same "Perfectionism" disease :)

a boy a girl and a pug said...

y'all are so sweet! i'm a perfectionist too especially with the weeds...i seem to pick a new one every time i run out to the mailbox.