Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Do You Know Who You Are?


Have you ever wondered about your family history? Maybe if there was someone heroic that you are related to? From time to time I would think about it, but never really showed much interest.

My feelings began to change a bit when I started watching shows like Who Do You Think You Are? and BYU's The Generations Project. I guess watching people's journey of discovering more about their heritage sparked an interest about having a desire to learn more about mine.

On Friday, I logged onto Family Search and I'm pretty sure I have found my new addiction. I spent hours clicking the arrows that would go from one name to another. I eventually traced my heritage all the way back to 1054 in Normandy, France.

I was also surprised to see how much work that still needs to be done. There are a couple of lines that stop after 5 generations. I can't wait to find out more and start to piece the puzzle together.

For some reason I also thought that alot of the temple work had already been done, and boy was I wrong. All of a sudden I felt a sense of urgency to get it done! Brock and I spent all day on Saturday at the Seattle Temple chipping away at it. It was an incredible experience and we have set a goal to go once a week.

Brock logged on too and traced his heritage back to the Byzantine Empire! He felt pretty bummed when he saw that most of his genealogy had already been done. I guess that's what you get when there are a bunch of Mormons in your family :)

I'm excited to be part of this great work! The knowledge that I will gain will be a great blessing to me and my family.

6 Grass Lovers:

Deanna said...

Layla! This is so exciting! You really should apply to be on the Generations Project! They are still taking applicants for season 2 and 3. It was an amazing experience. You would love it!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

So exciting! I've always wanted to get back into it.

Unknown said...

I *heart* family history work. Except I can't find anyone in my line. However, those we HAVE found need work done. I always hit a brick wall with my mom's family, but it's bound to give in any day...

Holly said...

That is so great! It is amazing isn't it when you start poking around in there how much you find out! You'll find a lot looks like it's not done, but then you'll notice duplicate entries that can be combined. I have yet to take names to do work, but really look forward to it. You've inspired me to look again!

I find it all really fascinating and am actually giving my mom a really cool family tree thingy for Mother's Day.

Livi said...

great post! made me excited about family history.

ixoj said...

So...what are you? Where are you from?