Friday, October 09, 2009

Must be Love


I've never been one to brush my teeth at night. I'm just always so tired. It's a pretty gross habit to have. When it comes to flossing, well let's just say that hardly ever happens. 

When we were first married my husband was on a mission to change my bad habits. I was always very resistant and would have some lame excuse on why I didn't want to do it. 

At night we would read scriptures together and took turns picking out what book or chapter we would read from. One night it was his turn to choose, so he chose to read from the fourth chapter of Philippians. When he reached the 13th verse, he stopped and said to me "Now you can go brush your teeth with the strength that Christ has given you." How could I not go and brush after that?  All of my excuses became invalid. 

Since then, I've been better about brushing at night but I still struggle with the whole flossing routine. I got a huge lecture from my dentist that I need to up my flossing to no less than twice a day. It's been a little overwhelming  going from zero times to twice in one day. My husband has been keeping me on track and making sure I do it. 

The other night I was so exhausted and just wanted to go to sleep. I had no desire to floss or even brush, all I could think about was sleep. B asked me if I had fulfilled my nightly tasks and when I said no, he threw the floss at me and stared at me until I started to floss. When I complained that I couldn't reach my back teeth and I just didn't want to do it, he took the floss away from me and had me open my mouth real wide and he began to floss my teeth. I know, gross. But he is dedicated to making sure that I floss on a regular bases. He then handed me my toothbrush with toothpaste on it and told me to brush. He stood there and grinned and said  "So how much sleep did you really lose?"

3 Grass Lovers:

Deanna said...

I am a flossing nazi due to the fact that I had 13 cavities filled because I didn't floss regularly. I don't want that to happen again. I'm of the opinion that flossing is way more important than brushing. Charles and my relationship is the exact opposite of yours and Brock's. I'm the one always pestering him to floss. Here's a funny story from my blog on a similar subject: http://azuremarie.blogspot.com/2008/08/why-i-love-my-husband.html?zx=739d0bb962e7167f

Diana said...

So much for the "B"

I recently recieved a similar lecture from the dentist that I need to brush and floss THREE times a day or more. After, EVERY snack. "And if you snack a lot, than you need to snack less often." I just thought, "okay, but yeah right."

I'll try though...

Laura said...

Ha! Layla you sound exactly like me. It's amazing how something so simple is so hard to do, but I can come up with a million excuses not to do it. Sounds like you have an awesome husband.