Friday, September 04, 2009

Maui Day One and Two

I've been home from Hawaii for about two weeks and figured it was about time that I wrote about our travels before I forget what we actually did (I'm getting old here).

We arrived at the Kahului airport around 5:30 p.m. and right off the bat I knew I was going to love Maui. In the air I looked out of the airplane window and saw what looked like a runway in the middle of a field. I was so right! It was amazing how tiny and secluded the airport seemed. As we walked off the plane, I was instantly overcome with emotion by the feeling the air gave me. It was thick and warm and it made me forget everything else and focus on being right then and there.

We got our luggage and were shuttled off to our rental car. We asked for a standard and were upgraded to a luxury. FYI luxury in Maui is considered a Lincoln Town Car, which to me is a 70 year old man's car. It was cool though, that was all they had on hand.


Brock and I headed to Wal-Mart to stock up on some goods for the week and by the time we were done with that adventure I was two steps away from completely losing it. Brock has seen the ugly monster come out of me plenty of times and the only way to prevent it is to feed me. So we did what any normal city folks would do and yelped the best place to eat. Turns out most of the eating establishments I wanted to go to were closed because it was a Sunday. Brock quickly prevented the monster from coming out by ordering me a happy meal at the local McDonalds. All was well.

We drove off to the resort that we were staying at just north of Lahaina. Our room was really nice and had a pretty good view of the ocean. I instantly wanted to go down to the beach and it was like no other beach I have ever experienced. The sand was smooth and the water was really warm.

The first day was short, but we got much accomplished to prepare us for the upcoming week.

The next morning we woke up around 6 a.m. and were ready to get going and get on the beach. We had some more errands to do before we could really get adventurous. We drove into downtown Lahaina which to me was one of my favorite parts of the trip. There were cute shops that lined up near the beach and good food to eat. We got some more goods like sunglasses and tanning lotion and gifts to bring home to the lovely people that took care of our cat. We rented our snorkel gear and were off to a full day on the beach.

The first stop was at the Nakalele Blowhole. You have to hike down this massive rock formation to get to it. As the surf crashes near by, a geyser is formed through a hole on the shoreline. It is one of the coolest things I have ever seen.



On our way back to the resort we stop at Honolua Bay to go snorkeling. To get to the bay you have to walk through a rain forest and a bunch of chickens were running around. It was seriously crazy. Once you get to the bay, the water is super calm and the beach area is made up of huge smooth rocks. I was a little nervous about snorkeling but once I got the hang of it, I didn't want to stop. You don't have to go to far off from the shoreline to see fish and coral. They were everywhere and it was seriously in the top ten coolest things I have ever done.

If you ever have a chance to snorkel, do it! You really won't regret it.

5 Grass Lovers:

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

aw Maui. I want to go back already

Myrna said...

Cool! I want to see that blow hole one day!

jasmine said...

ahhhh, that looks like so much fun! and so gorgeous too! what a perfect summer vacation.

Anonymous said...

Maui looks incredible!

Lanea and Shayna. said...

Maui looks so amazing and so much fun! Great pictures.