Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Greater than Rubies


No doubt that the most rewarding years of my life were when I worked in the Young Women's program at my church. I was the happiest I can ever remember. True, it was also the hardest times of my life but the young women that I worked with made me want to be a better person.

Their personalities were unique and their happiness and love for life would rub off on me and everyone else around them. Sometimes working with them was hard. Real hard. But there is something about teenage girls that make me giddy like a complete fool.

I love their teenage drama (which usual has to do with boys). I love how they strive to be the best. I love how they get excited about the simplest things.

I love the courage they have to push through the hardest times of their lives. They stand a little taller and make their voices heard over those who try to bring them down.

I don't think they know how much I admire them, how much they helped me look at the brighter side of things. They made me feel so incredibly good about myself. It's an amazing feeling when you have someone tell you how great they think you are and how one day they want to be like you. I hope that I can live up to their standards.

I'm always overcome with joy when I hear of  them accomplishing major goals - getting into the school of their choice or winning a tennis match that they really wanted to win. It's inspiring.

I am incredibly grateful that I had the opportunity to work with these beautiful young women. They were exactly what I needed to keep me pushing through.  I hope that they know how amazing I think they are. Because they really are brilliant young women.

Rachel I hope that you knew how much I loved you. You are such a beautiful young lady and I will forever miss you.

6 Grass Lovers:

Jennifer said...

I loved Young Womens! I've never been called to serve in it sadly. It sounds like you were wonderful at it!

And girl, YES, I know what you mean about timing and the stress (re:your comment). But I too have to try to remember that everything happens for a reason :)

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

I LOVE THAT PICTURE/QUOTE!

Myrna said...

Did their family have some hereditary illness that three of the children have died so young? That is so unusual, and so hard to imagine. So sad.

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

Oh how sad? I don't know what I would have done. I hope everything is OK.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about that Layla. My condolences.

gabrielle valentine said...

That is very sad. So young.
I was in young womens at one point as a teacher and it is very rewarding. They girls are amazing to watch learn and develop their testimonies.