Monday, July 20, 2009

If You Want to Meet a Hardcore Naturalist, Move to Seattle

This past Saturday, was a ridiculously beautiful summer day in Seattle, and what better way to spend that day with cool friends on the beach? There is a beach about a mile from our rad apartment and we hike down to it quite often. It's probably one of the only beaches in Seattle that has honest to goodness sand.


The beach is equipped with fire pits right on the sand and BBQs over near the grass. We meet up with our friends Chad and Wendy, along with some of their friends and roasted some hot dogs, marshmallows, and chips (try roasting BBQ flavored lays, it taste like kettle corn afterwards. AMAZING!) in one of those lovely fire pits on the beach. Just so everyone knows, I started eating meat about 2 weeks ago. I have mixed feelings about it and I think I'm going back to my old diet of veggies and fruits and a little bit of fish. Any ways, that is another post.

Right next to our pit there was this natural looking lady with two kids. When I say natural, I mean she wore no bra, had hairy legs and hairy armpits. The youngest looked to be 4 and the oldest maybe 7 or 8. Every once in awhile, the youngest would walk up to his mom and grab her chest and she would whip it out and let him chomp away. He did it about 6 times, while we all sat there eating our hot dogs and witnessed her bare chest and him awkwardly sitting up in her lap. It made me feel awkward. It made everyone feel awkward. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for breast feeding, but when your kid just walks up to you and grabs your boob out, I think it's about time to move on.

Well while I was roasting my marshmallow, this little tot walked up to the fire pit and watched me roast away. When I asked him if he wanted one, I'm not even joking, he said this to me: "No, I'm a vegan." He told me he was a vegan, but he still is breast feeding? Something is seriously wrong with this picture. I guess I just don't understand the benefits of it all.

As my husband said, when the kid grows up, he is seriously going to crave milk for the rest of his life. Too bad that he is a vegan.

5 Grass Lovers:

breanna said...

I'm with you...SOOOOO awkward! I can't even imagine letting my older ones nurse now! that's weird.

Margaret Proffitt said...

Wow. Just wow.

I'm all for breast feeding but...

Diana said...

I'm with Little Red there. Wow. Just wow.

Chris and Jonette said...

I'm pretty sure that roasted marshmallows are an essential part of a developing body and mind. Its a shame he is being deprived of them.

As for the meat, good for you, just don't give up on it completely.

The Dennett's said...

My goodness. I can't imagine being in your place and witnessing that...I remember once at the Monterey Bay Aquarium some lady whipped out her boob for her kid right in the middle of a seal show, and instead of watching the seals all the other kids watched her, wide-eyed and in utter shock. Kids are very impressionable.