Saturday, August 01, 2009

He Conqured and I Cried the Ugly Cry






My brother came home from serving a two year LDS mission in London, England. Brock and I made the trek early last Thursday morning so we could meet up with him at the airport in SLC. It was a 13 hour drive and thanks to no traffic and a little speeding we made it there right on time.

I paced back and forth waiting in anticipation. I hadn't seen him in 2 years. The last time I saw him he was 19 and he bid me farewell at the same airport. I promised I wouldn't cry in front of him, but as soon as I couldn't see him any more, the ugly cry came on. Snot and all.


On our way to the airport, Brock asked me if I would cry. I said no, I don't think I will. I knew it was a lie. He knew it was a lie. The minute I saw him walk out towards the security gate I lost it, and the ugly cry started. I couldn't stop myself. I was so proud of him. He looked different, he walked with confidence among the other elders that were coming home that night.

He was looking for us among the crowd. I ran to him. When he saw me doing my ugly cry, he held me and patted my head. My little brother protected me from the ugly cry. I cried mostly for him. I knew how much he loved his mission and the people of England. I can't even imagine how hard it would be to let go of something that you love so much and go on with life. It was a bitter sweet moment.

That Sunday he gave his homecoming talk. It was brilliant and the spirit was so strong. It testified to me of the truthfulness of the gospel. I was grateful for my brother's sacrifice to serve and for having him stand there and testify to me of how beautiful the Lord's work is. Once again, I cried the ugly cry and he winked at me from the stand.

In the last week that I have spent with him, I feel that I have grown more spiritually than I have in the last couple of months. Since he is sort of still stuck in his mission mode, we still kinda did missionary stuff. I studied with him, asked questions about how to be more open about my feelings and went to the temple with him. It was a beautiful week. A week that I will never forget.

5 Grass Lovers:

Myrna said...

Layla, you are just a marshmallow--sweet through and through. Of course you cried. Such a good reason to cry a happy cry or two.

Bronwyn James said...

Layla, that is really sweet. I have a pretty ugly cry too and there is nothing more I HATE than crying in front of people. I completely sympathize. Glad you had some good time with him!

ixoj said...

I'll bet you look lovely when you cry.

Christine said...

So glad he's home and you guys are enjoying his company. We just missed you guys. Tell your dad we'll call him in a few weeks!

Wesley Thomas said...

i almost cried the ugly cry right there. Makes me miss Elder Evans. SO happy for you to have your brother back. x