Wednesday, April 08, 2009

A Question for Dog Lovers

Alright all you dog owners/lovers out there, I have some questions that need to be answered! So here is the deal, I'm turning 25 (YIKES!) and for the big TWO FIVE I really really want a dog. But have no idea what to get. I'm totally clueless when it comes to dogs. I mean I grew up with dogs, but I lived in the country and they had every opportunity to frolic in our fields and sniff cows and stuff. My problem is that I live in the big fat city and I'm clueless when it comes to dogs in the city.

So here are the facts:

1) I live in the city.
2) I live in an apartment, but I might be moving back (not for a couple of years though)to my house which has a small yard.
3) I prefer larger dogs, but Brock prefers smaller dogs.
4) I have a cat. She has never really been around dogs. She meet the neighbors dog and seemed intrigued, not scared.

So my question is what kind of dog should I get? I basically am looking for one that will do ok in an apt and get along with my cat. Brock suggested a pug. Small but does not look like an accessory dog. I was thinking maybe a miniature Australian shepherd(but that might be a little complicated cause they easily get bored). Suggestions???

P.S. By the way, I'm not wanting a dog to replace a child. I want a dog because I want a dog and having children are still on my list of things to do ;)

5 Grass Lovers:

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

Oh pug!! Adam wanted a lab and we got a pug and she has boundless energy -- he was wanting a dog that could run with him and stuff. Now he's really glad he didn't get a bigger dog!

But our little pug did chase around a cat and get scratched by it, but that was pet sitting, so maybe it would be different?

ixoj said...

I vote a mini Australian Shepherd. They're small, but not obnixiously so. My neighbor has two (maybe you saw them when you were visiting?) and they're really fantastic. True, they're quite energetic, but since they're fairly small, they don't mind being inside. And you can always take them walking/running with you in the park. Get one get one!

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

You're not moving back for a couple of YEARS?! NOOOO! I like all dogs except yappy dogs. Do not get a yappy dog.

-G said...

Ah ha! I have actually done quite a bit of research on this, and am kinda a dog breed pro now. I owe it all to dogbreedinfo.com . Most websites out there will tell you that there are very few dogs that adjust well to apartment life. The dogs that do, are mostly the toy type, or the XXL type (mastiff, great dane). All dogs, especially those big dogs, need a lot of exercise, preferably at least one hour a day. In the city, that pretty much means dog parks, and long walks.

The thing with mini Aussies, or any type of working or field dog, is that they might seem with out a backyard, but they well start to develop anxious tendencies, like chewing everything, and being disobediant. It's hard... because those are the types of dogs I like the best... but without a backyard, or a nearby place where you can just let them go crazy, it's not a very good idea :( Too bad too... i really want a Springer Spaniel.

So here are some dogs that might work out, or that you should look up. Some of these might not be the best suited for apartment life, but will probably do ok with excersise: pug, boston terrier, english bulldog, brittany spaniel, bull terrier(like the target dog!), whippet, italian greyhound (it's like a little greyhound), and a whole mess of annoying yappy little dogs.

Like I mentioned before, Great Danes and Mastiffs are pretty good inside dogs too, because they are way lazy- but that kinda goes against the "no big dogs" thing.

Anyways, check out dogbreedinfo.com . They have a lot of good resources on .. well, dog breed info, training, and exercise. The site looks ghetto, but it is by far the best I have found.

...you can tell grant wants something by how much research he does...

breanna said...

dog in the city is totally different than dog in the country! i got a dog and that lasted a couple of weeks! the dogs we had growing up would scratch and the door and we let thm out to do their stuff...in the city its walking on a leash A LOT!!! i have to say kids are so much easier...i'm done with dogs for a long time!