Friday, October 31, 2008

M is for Moroccan Food

While we were in Seattle ( I know, I know, PROMISE, it's the last dang post about Seattle!) we had the great pleasure to accompany some of our favorite peeps at this fab Moroccan restaurant in Belltown. I've heard a lot of great things about Marrakesh and I was dying to go. I actually wanted to go before we moved and was highly disappointed that I didn't. Brock made it all up to me when we went back to visit.

So after pulling weeds like it was back in style we drove like mad men to our guests house to take showers so we could make it in time for our 6:30 p.m. (have no idea why we thought we would make it to anything by that time) reservation. We got to their house by 5:45 p.m. and being distracted by everything around me, didn't actually take a shower until 6:15 p.m. I'm never on time for anything, REALLY. I was overdue in being born by two weeks, I was late to my graduation, and yes I was late to my WEDDING!!!! I will probably be late to my own funeral. Guaranteed.

We didn't get to the restaurant until an hour after our reservation (traffic sucks in Seattle) and they seemed to be fine with it. They seated us right away while there was a line. That always makes me happy.

We got to sit on the floor with big fat lovely pillows that gathered around a small round table. It was really cozy. If you want privacy, don't go there, I could hear our neighbors conversations cause we were that close to them.

We choose the 5 course meal and I was excited in anticipation of what it would be like. Each person got to pick one main course. I got couscous and chicken while my other fellow diners headed straight for the lamb (for personal reasons, I don't eat little lambs).

They started us off with this lovely lentil soup. I heart lentil soups. I could have just eaten that and would have been completely happy. Then it got better. They brought out this fresh tomato like salad that you ate with yummy pita bread. It was a massive platter. I ate and ate and ate. Brock warned me to stop, cause there were three other dishes that I needed to sample. I didn't care, I kept on eating.

The next course was this pastry like concoction. It was layers of sweet phyllo dough that was stuffed with eggs and chicken and was dusted with powder sugar. You also ate this with your hands. Sorry, I failed to mention that you eat everything with your hands here. It brought me back to my childhood when I lived in Arabia (who am I kidding, I always used a fork). I wasn't a fan of this pastry. Everyone else really liked it though. I just have problems with eggs and chicken being sweet. Whatever.

After the pastry, we finally got our main course! It was such a delight. I loved it and even tried a little bit of the lamb. Just a tiny bite. Everyone else was raving about how good it was! I give in to peer pressure like that.

To finish off our meal we had a desert that consisted of fresh apples with honey and yogurt and mint tea. I said no thanks to the mint tea. I hate all teas, even the herbal ones. YUCK.

The best part about all of this was their entertainment. People, they had a belly dancer. If this is not your style of entertainment, go on a weeknight. The girl totally rocked the belly dance. So much that my fellow pregnant friend asked her husband if she could take belly dancing lessons. The dancer did things with her belly that I didn't even know were possible. I was impressed and so were the other guests.

My friend was dying for me to get up there and dance with her cause she wanted to. I was like no way dude, but little miss friend of mine has no shame. The girl went up there and danced with her-except more like she was dancing to techo music- and then gave her a five dollar bill. I'm telling you, the girl has no shame!

P.S. Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures, I forgot my camera and only had my iPhone. I was lucky enough to catch someones flash.
P.S.S. What's this you say about an iPhone? Yes people, I got an iPhone. After much begging from Brock to get one and me to saying NO! NO! NO! I finally gave in and told him that if he wrote me up a good enough proposal that I would give in. He did just that, and in return I would get one and flowers every month. Sounds good to me...HAHA I know you are all so jealous!

2 Grass Lovers:

Myrna said...

Sounds so neat--what a lot of food! And then your next post is about dieting! :o)

Marc Jorgensen said...

Layla, you would like Marrakech, you and Brock should go there. The tagine chicken is incredible. The chicken is so fresh. And the 30 cent glasses of fresh squeezed orange juice are awesome. It's on my blog http://aviewoftheworld.blogspot.com