Saturday, December 08, 2007

Our new callings

For the longest time I wanted a calling. I whined about it all the time. Brock would always say "don't worry, the time will come." The time did come. I'm now the second counselor in Primary. I've never even been in Primary so I was a little worried. Sharing time was and still is a mystery to me. I better figure it out soon since I have to do it on Sunday. Last Sunday was my first Sunday in my new calling. Kids bouncing up and down shouting I want pizza! Ugh right. I put my foot down. Before the end of Primary I had them all folding their little arms and not saying a single word. I have a feeling that behind my back I will be called the mean one. Brock thinks it is is funny and says that I am power hungry. Hmmm maybe I am.

Along with the whining of wanting a calling I said something in the matter "Brock you should definitely have a cool calling or something important." No kidding, the next Sunday we get a call to meet with the first counselor in the Stake Presidency. So we go, anticipating what the out come will be. We walk in, have a seat, and you could feel the tension in the air. First question "Do you love each other?" We both respond "Yes." The whole time, I'm wondering what the heck is going on? Why did he just ask us if we loved each other? Then he looks at Brock and says "Brother Judkins, your name has been submitted to be part of the Skyway Ward Bishopric as the Ward Clerk." Brock accepts the calling and is briefly told all of his responsibilities. Boy does he have alot. As we head back to our car he says "I'm only 25. Am I even old enough to be the ward clerk? I thought that they were all supposed to be old men."

The Sunday that he is sustained we get some pretty funny comments like "so you are in the Primary Presidency, your husband is the ward clerk, and you both graduated and own a house...You know Heavenly Father is given you a sign to have a kid!" When we do eventually decide to have a kid, everyone will be shocked.

4 Grass Lovers:

Arielle said...

So how did it go today? I had to sub for the sunbeam teacher and I used to teach the 5 year olds. I have a hard enough time keeping a few kids paying attention, I couldn't imagine doing it for the whole group. Have fun...HAHAHA

Nancy said...

Oooh! Have fun in primary--it can definitely be a challenge but is one of them most important callings, in my opinion. You'll do wonderful!

How many children are in your primary?

PS...wanna be blogging buds?

Myrna said...

Hi Layla, I was about your age when I was first in the primary presidency...and my husband was ward clerk. But we had a couple of kids, and hadn't graduated and didn't own a house, so there the similarity ends. Nancy's little brother is 18, and is the ward clerk in his student ward, so at least in student wards, they call people who aren't old men! :o) Congratulations in your calling...nice to hear about your family. From Nancy's mom.

lindsey*jane said...

Layla dear! I am excited for you in your calling! Kids can be pains in the butt, but they can also a lot of fun. So much fun. :)

I love your blog layout!