Friday, October 14, 2011

Library of Congress

This past week I got a call from my mom asking me when I would blog about our trip because she is dying to read about it.

So here we go...

We spent a couple of days in D.C. before we headed to NYC and stayed with my dear friends Kelly and Travis. Travis just finished an internship with a congressman and became our unofficial tour guide.  Man, he was so full of knowledge, I felt so lucky. My only regret is that I didn't get the chance to take a picture with them.

They picked us up at Union Station and it was go time. Union Station is so stunning that I was in complete awe. It is seriously so beautiful and once again I forgot to take a picture of it. One day I will go back and and just sit and stare at its beauty.


Our first stop on our tour was The Library of Congress. The outside of the building is majestic with it's statues and beautiful details. The inside was even more stunning with the mosaics and murals on the walls.


 I have always wanted to see the main reading room and seeing it in person far excedes any picture. In order to read in the reading room, you have to obtain a library card and have a research purpose. One day, I would love to do just that. I was envious of the stories that Travis shared with us about seeing the special collections and getting special tours of the building.

Have you ever been to the Library of Congress? What did you think?

1 Grass Lovers:

ixoj said...

I made up an excuse to go "research" in the Middle Eastern reading room. It was awesome. I felt smarter just being there.

Next time you come visit, we'll get you a library card!