Monday, January 17, 2011

Choose This Day

Last week drained me and has made me quite somber. With the events that happened last weekend in Arizona and with the news of one of TCB's (short for The Cute Boy) coworkers/friends suddenly dying at the age of 29, the though about how short our time really is on this earth has been with me non-stop.

It was my week to teach Seminary and the whole week we focused on Section 76 of the Doctrine and Covenants (for those who don't know, this section talks in depth about the after-life). For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to teach it creatively. The doctrine is pretty heavy and I stuck with the manual to be safe. I was convinced that I could totally rock this lesson, the manual was straight forward, I would be ok.

There were a lot of questions, really really good thoughtful questions from my students. And there were a lot of blank stares with "I don't know" from me. Yikes, I have so so much to learn. They completely caught me off guard. I was completely humbled.

By Friday I was exhausted by all the "I don't know" that I dished out and I wanted to end the week by not so much talking on my behalf. So we watched this amazing video that went with the lesson. If anything, I hope that my students know that life is short and we should make SOMEDAY, today.

4 Grass Lovers:

Lindsey Walker said...

It is so true, life is too short. You are amazing! What a wonderful experience you get to have from teaching seminary.

Deanna said...

Thank you Layla! I needed to watch that. Those youth are lucky to have such a cool seminary teacher!

The Dennett's said...

What a wonderful message. Thanks for sharing! and I agree that you are an awesome seminary teacher. They are blessed to have you, just from what I know about your spunk and knowledge of the gospel :)

Mammodouy's Stories said...

Thank you, Layla. Great post. Helps me a lot.
All my love from France