Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Something to Remember

After Brock attended the Priesthood Session of the LDS General Conference he encouraged me to watch President Uchtdorf's talk. He told me that I would love it. The talk would bring peace to me and help me to come to an understanding of the trials that we are facing. 

I chuckled when I heard the topic. Then I sat in silence and listened. And then I may or may have not cried.

Patience—the ability to put our desires on hold for a time—is a precious and rare virtue. We want what we want, and we want it now. Therefore, the very idea of patience may seem unpleasant and, at times, bitter.
... patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can—working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!

Often the deep valleys of our present will be understood only by looking back on them from the mountains of our future experience. Often we can’t see the Lord’s hand in our lives until long after trials have passed. Often the most difficult times of our lives are essential building blocks that form the foundation of our character and pave the way to future opportunity, understanding, and happiness.
Patience means accepting that which cannot be changed and facing it with courage, grace, and faith.
The night before this talk was given, I was expressing to Brock how I was so tired of all the trials. One after another they kept coming.  I was tired and I didn't have any patience left in me. I wanted to see results and I wanted to see them now.

It's funny to me how the Lord answers my prayers. The talk that was given has stayed with me since I first heard it.  I have an understanding that the trials that we have in our lives are essential; they are there to make us happier people.

Last Saturday I attended a baby shower of a friend of mine. This baby shower was in particular a special event and I was so happy that I was asked to be in attendance.

I had the opportunity to hold baby L for quite a bit of time. He was one of the most beautiful babies I have ever held. As I sat there and held him, I began to think of Presedient Uchtdorf's talk.  I began to think of what my friend had to face to become baby L's mother. She went literally to the ends of the earth to bring him in to her family. After two failed adoptions and years of waiting, her patience and trials were greatly awarded.  

I know that the things that I face in my life are far different than other people's trials. They are not greater or lesser. The trials that I have were especially given to me. I know that the Lord has faith in me, I just need to have faith in myself.  I know that if I continue to actively endure, pray, hope, and do everything in my powers, that the reward will be far greater than the trial.

6 Grass Lovers:

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

It was a great talk! Such a good message to hear. Patience is just not something that comes easy

Adam Wardel said...

Absolutely something I needed to hear. I think our culture is becoming less and less patient

Lindsey Walker said...

You are amazing! Thank you for this inspirational post. Patience through trial is a tough one. I wish we still lived by each other. We miss you guys!!

kayjay said...

I am so proud of you and Brock. You have an enviable combination of heart and mind that is a shining example and help to so many others. Thanks for reminding me of that great talk.

Holly said...

I loved this talk too. I listened to it after you bore your testimony in RS and absolutely did cry. I have so much to learn about growing from my trials, and this talk will help me do that. I hope you to will continue to find peace in whatever trials you are faced with.

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

I love you. you are so inspiring! Dinner again next week?