Thursday, April 01, 2010

I've Got a Thing for Owls

I went Visiting Teaching and it's a goal that I need to work harder on. I have a hard time making the effort to go out and spend time with the ladies on my list. I meet up with a little old lady that I have promised myself  a million times over that I would visit but never came around to it. 


Sister C. greeted me at the door with a hug, me being a complete stranger to her. It made me want to work harder on my outlook on meeting people for the first time. Everyone deserves a warm welcome, no matter how long you have known them.

She talked about her yard, her quilts, her husband and her children. She told me about her past struggles with infertility, adoption and the feeling of being lonely at times. She was so positive about it, expressing that every trial that she had, had a purpose.

Sister C. kept laughing and telling me that I probably thought that she was a crazy old lady. I was fascinated. There is something about people's life storytelling that captivates me and I lose all track of my time.

There were about a 100 owl figurines in her home. Each one had a back story, some sort of history to it. I have a thing for owls, I think they are charming. I told her that I loved that she collected them, because I love them too.  It's something that we had in common, a mutual ground between an 84 year old and a 25 year old.

She handed me an owl salt and pepper shaker set. Sister C. told me that her brother gave them to her and that they came from Alaska. I couldn't take them from her but she expressed to me that her time to leave this earth is soon approaching and there is no real point in keeping them. She was preparing for her "final move" as she called it.

I continue to be fascinated by the older generation and the way they prepare for their "final move." Many are at peace with it and at times I feel that they are even excited. It's really weird to me.

What I did learn from the visit is that I'm young and healthy and have so much more to learn. I need to make more memories and enjoy life more. Yea there will always be trials and stress but when I look back at my life I want to share joyful memories.  Although I fear being old, I'm kinda excited about becoming an 84 year old woman who will have stories that will captivate a 25 year old.

By the way, I regret not visiting her earlier on. The visit was exactly what I needed to get excited about Visiting Teaching.

5 Grass Lovers:

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

So many blessings come from VTing, but I swear, it's the hardest thing to do sometimes!! way to go on getting yours done!
Linda

Shelly and Vic said...

Loved this post...

Diana said...

I have a feeling these owls will remind you every month to do your visiting teaching, and when you learn to love it, I bet you'll always be the one asked to give lessons on motivating your RS to do their visiting teaching, and those owls will be your table display and story. :)

Anyway, great post.

Wesley Thomas said...

This is inspiring. Period.

An Ordinary Mom said...

I am so thrilled that you had such a remarkable visit :) !! What a great experience!