Sunday, December 06, 2009

Just When You Get Comfortable...

About a month ago, I sat in complete silence among some of the most beautiful women that I know-my ward's Relief Society. We were in deep conversation about callings and how they prepare us for other events in our lives. The discussion went that no matter the calling, it holds great importance and significance. The Lord knows each one of us, and he has specific tasks he wants us to accomplish.


A thought rushed through my head that every calling I have ever had has been harder and harder than the previous one. I have very little confidence in myself and the Lord knows this. I have been put in callings that have challenged me and forced me to build and work with my confidence.

When I left the meeting, the Second Counselor in the bishopric asked if he could meet with me and my husband the following Sunday. I got nervous and anxious. I couldn't sleep for a week. At the time I was serving as the secretary in the Relief Society Presidency and I loved it. It was hard work but I didn't have to step out of my shell much. I knew I was going to get a new calling, simply based on the thought I had in the meeting. I had no idea what it would be, but I just knew that it would be harder.

The following Sunday, Brock and I meet with the Second Counselor of the Bishopric and he revealed to me that I had been called to be the Second Counselor in the Relief Society Presidency. I was shocked, this could very possibly be the hardest calling I have yet to have. Yes, I have been in other presidencies, but Relief Society is different. There are woman there that are amazing and brilliant. Woman who have lived far more experiences than I can ever imagine. At the time I felt that I didn't have much to offer them, but now I know how wrong I am about that.

The woman in Relief Society have made me feel like a million bucks. My favorite little old lady in the ward comes up to me every Sunday to tell me how beautiful I am and how happy she is to have me in the presidency. I have been asked to provide rides, make dinners,and organize events. I've made new friends and have become more involved with missionary work. I have found myself doing things I normally am scared to do, just today I conducted for the very first time and I survived (I hate public speaking)! I have no doubt that I will grow and develop a great love and passion for Relief Society.

6 Grass Lovers:

Lucy van Pelt said...

Your awesomeness knows no bounds! Won't it be great to discover talents you didn't even know you had in this calling? We really do have wonderful women in our RS and you are one of them.

Diana said...

We just had a lesson in YW on encouraging the development of talents. On my drive home after church I actually thought of you and how many talents you have socially and being able to uplift others. I think these difficult RS callings are just another avenue for you to let these talents shine.

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

Holy Crap Layla. You are so cool. Seriously. P.S. those little glass rock magnets and things you made for me last year...I've been using them as bookmarks in the 4 books I'm reading! Every time I pick up my book I see some happy sticking out of the pages. It makes me so happy and it makes me miss you and your coolness!

Maggie Muggins said...

I'm sure you'll be great in your calling. It's a lot of work, I'm well aware, but it has it's rewards too. Good luck!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

You are pro. You will be the best ever.

Gabrielle Valentine said...

Layla,
You are going to do fabulously! You do have much to share and I am excited to hear how this adds to your life because new callings always do - for example - maybe you'll learn to love giving speeches! Weirder things have happened, right? =) (I don't like speaking in public, either). Anyway, congratulations!