Tuesday, June 09, 2009

That One Time I Pretended to be a Hippie


A couple of weekends back my brother in law came up and we drove 2.5 hours to the Gorge so we could rock out at the Sasquatch! Music Festival. I totally felt over dressed in my sundress and decided that I missed the memo that the attire for the evening was a string bikini. I'm not even joking. I don't blame them though, it was stinking hot (I had no idea Washington could get so hot!) and lots of people were camping out. Give me three days with no shower and heat, I would be sporting my swimsuit too. We didn't stay for all three days, we only had time to go for one day. In all honesty I wish we could have stayed for all three days because that one day that we were there was brilliant!

First off, the Gorge is stunning. So from Seattle we drove east bound through our lovely mountains and then all of a sudden we were in a desert. I had heard that the Gorge Amphitheater was considered one of the most scenic and premier concert locations in Northern America and even in the world. I was a little skeptical about that while we were driving through the desert. I'm really not a huge fan of the desert since I lived in desert lands for the majority of my life. It's hot, dusty, and gross. Any ways, that's another story. We eventually reach our destination and we parked our car near some vineyards (not joking). From the parking lot I had no clue where the amphitheater was. After walking for what seems forever, it suddenly appears out of no where. I had to catch my breath the minute I saw the Columbia river gorge. It was probably in the top ten most stunning sights I have ever seen.




We got to mingle with die hard hippies (or maybe just wannabe's?) and listen to some incredible music. Most of the bands there I had heard their music before hand (cause the cute dude I'm married to blasted them through his iPod all day and everyday), but had no idea who they were. It's really cool to match faces to their music. So we saw...

Maria Bamford, crazy cool comedian.

And them...

Mount Saint Helen Vietnam Band

These fiery folks too...

Devotchka. You can find lots of their music on the movie Little Miss Sunshine. LOVE LOVE LOVE them!

We rocked out with hipsters to them ...


Animal Collective

They pumped up my energy level way more than I thought possible....


The Yeah Yeah Yeahs. They are beyond brilliant. Check out her hot pink glove and the massive eye ball. Crazy cool performance!

And ended the night with one of my favorite bands...

Kings of Leon. Ahhh I really love this band and was so thrilled that I got to see them.

It was a perfect ending to a perfect day....

THE END

2 Grass Lovers:

Strawberry Girl said...

Neato Layla!! :D

I'll have to check to see if I can find their music anywhere, as I haven't heard of any of these bands. ;D

Unknown said...

I love the Gorge. I saw Bob Dylan and Van Morrison there years ago. That was back when I was a hippie and fit right along with the rest of the camping crowd :)