Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My Husband is Better than Yours. No, for Reals.


On Sunday I turned 25! Ha, I officially feel like an adult. Weird. It was fun turning 25, all thanks to the awesome dude I married. You see, I was really really bummed that my birthday was on a Sunday and on Mother's Day. No worries though, my cute boy made it all better.

My birthday weekend started out on Friday evening with dinner at our all time favorite sushi restaurant. We had our usual double 007 roll (spicy tuna, avocado and cucumber wrapped with salmon, lime, cilantro, and jalapenos) and tried the tropical paradise roll ( salmon, strawberry, avocado, tobiko, cucumber wrapped with tuna and mango and served with a blueberry sauce). They were both to die for. AHHH!!!! I'm seriously obsessed with sushi. Grant, be prepared, we are going there when you visit in a couple of weeks.

On Saturday morning Brock woke me up and told me what the agenda was for the day. I would first have a mani and pedi done at a nail salon and then I had a 1:45 p.m. appointment at Ananya Spa in my favorite neighborhood of Belltown. I was beyond excited. I had never been to a spa and was ready to be pampered.

The people at Ananya were amazing. Super friendly and wanted me to have the best experience EVER. I got a facial and body exfoliation from Rachel, who confessed to me that she grew up in Utah. We bonded over things that we loved and hated about Utah. My facial was supposed to be an hour long, but she went way over. She gave me all kinds of advice on how to take care of my skin and I felt no pressure to buy their product line.

Next up was the massage. I was really nervous about this. I've never had a massage and never really cared to have one. I became 10X more nervous when I meet my massage therapist. Jack, a dude with tattoos and rode a motorcycle would be massaging me. I had a hard time relaxing at first, but it was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. He too went way over his time limit because he wanted me to have a good first experience and to get the job done right. I was super impressed by the things he figured out about my life by massaging my muscles. Like, I run and pound with my left foot more than my right, that I suffer from allergies, and that I don't trust easily (mainly because when he asked me to relax, I would do the opposite. He even joked that I would break a sweat trying to relax. I couldn't stop cracking up). I will for sure be back to this spa. It's official I have become a spa junkie :)

Later on that night, Brock had made reservations at one of my favorite restaurants in Seattle. If you are ever in Seattle, you must eat at Restaurant Zoe. They serve modern American food that reminds me of being home. I know, weird. I had the green asparagus risotto, the Alaskan black cod, and a mango tart for dessert. They even put a candle in the desert for me to blow out. I left that place so dang full and with a big fat smile on my face.

Posing at Restaurant Zoe

I though that my birthday weekend was done, boy was I wrong! The next morning I woke up to a yummy breakfast of scrambled eggs and fancy toast. As I'm walking into the kitchen, I spot a shiny red artisan kitchenaid sitting on the counter top! I have seriously been wanting one for ages. I kinda did a little dance when I saw it! I can not wait to start baking.

Church was lovely, and the men in our ward made a yummy lunch for the ladies. We had to leave early so I could talk to my brother who is serving a mission in London. Talking to him made my birthday complete. I'm really missing him and I'm so excited to see him in a couple of months.
The cupcake Brock made, with five candles to blow out.

But my day gets even better. I took a little nap and got a ton of texts and phone calls from peeps. I really felt so loved. Brock also made me lime cilantro pasta with shrimp in a citrus cilantro sauce and double cherry cola fudge cupcakes. He did all the research in finding the recipes, buying the ingredients, and preparing everything. You should all know that he has never made cupcakes (not to mention that these cupcakes were made from scratch, no cake from a box for him) in his life and when he makes dinner, he usually sticks to chicken. People I was beyond than impressed. His mother raised him well.

Thanks Brock for making it the best birthday ever! Thank you to all who text,called, and sent me lovely birthday wishes! It was indeed the best birthday ever!

This weekend, my girlies are taking me out to paint the town red! AHH I feel so so loved!


4 Grass Lovers:

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

That is seriously a better birthday than I have EVER had. Go Brock! And happy birthday, Layla!

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

WOWEE! That is kind of AMAZING! I'm so happy you had a wonderful birthday!

ixoj said...

Well done Brock! And I'm glad you had a great birthday!

Nancy said...

I'm glad you had a good birthday in spite of Mother's Day and the Sabbath--all the more reason to spread the celebration over the whole weekend, right? ;)