Monday, October 06, 2008

Burning Down The House

On Friday, I almost burned the house down. No really, I'm being serious. I warmed up some food in our 20 year old microwave and went to the back of the house while the microwave was running. I heard the buzzer go off and when I went to retrieve my food, I could hardly see the front of the house because of the thickness of the smoke.

I panicked and the first thing I did was to start looking for Flora. AND I COULD NOT FIND HER! The only thing that would make her come out of her hiding spot was to shake the dang cat treat bag. In no time, she came running and then i think she kinda panicked too because she followed me everywhere I went.

Then as I was making my way out the door, I saw that all the smoke was coming out of our microwave and that my food was on fire. Good thing I unplugged the microwave before I threw water on it.

At that point I had everything under control or so I thought. The smoke had escaped into the hall way, and some lady was running around trying to figure out where it came from. AND to top that off the fire dept was on it's way. GRRR... I had this under control! The fire dept tried to take the microwave away, and I'm like no you can't have it, it's not mine. I had to promise not to plug it back in and use it. They must have thought I was really that stupid.

I spent the whole day airing the smoke out and trying to get rid of the stench of burnt plastic. When Brock got home he laughed and announced that we should go buy a new microwave. We bought the coolest one we could find. You know the ones that weigh the food and cook it based on that. That night we cooked random things until 2 a.m. because we were that excited about it!

On a positive note, the smell of curry is gone. I should have caught the microwave on fire a long time ago. If only I had known.

4 Grass Lovers:

Diana said...

I was waiting for this story to be posted.
That's so scary. I'm glad nothing worse happened. So was the fire just contained in the microwave?

Arielle said...

You went for the cat first? Our cat might not be so lucky. That treat rattling works on ours too. I once put a bag of popcorn in the microwave for 12 minutes at my brother's apartment. He had to get a new microwave too because we couldn't scrub the black out of it. We tried waving the smoke out with towels and when he came home we just kinda sat on the couch pretending we didn't notice the smoke or smell. It didn't work.

Brock said...

Curry smell gone + new microwave = WIN

leah said...

You are awesome- that was a great story :)