Thursday, February 07, 2008

Story of Clive

Many of you know that my brother is on his Mission in London, England. He writes me quite often and this is something from his last letter. I found it very moving and wanted to share it with others.

So layla this has been one of the most humbling and amazing weeks of my life. I would like to tell you about a man named Clive. Clive is a man we met about 6 weeks ago at a bus stop. he told us he was meeting with the missionaries in the past and at one time had a baptismal date. so we've been trying to get a hold of him for the past 6 weeks but we've never had success. so last Thursday our appointment cancelled with one of our investigators, so we decided to call up Clive. we got a hold of him, and he said that we don’t wanna come see him, but we insisted so let us come over. so we knocked on his door, and nothing. so my companion pushes on the door and it opens, and we walk in and it was the biggest shock of my life. there was rubbish 3 feet deep everywhere. we make our way to the living room, and there’s this man in a chair in the dark with a bottle of booze in his hand and he just starts weeping. this man was rock bottom. he was drunk. he had no food, no electricity, no gas. he had nothing. his house smelt of garbage. it was the worst situation I have ever seen. alcohol is bad. it screws people over. so my companion and I just start testifying of the atonement and Jesus Christ. he's crying, and he just wants to die. so we than get some trash bags, and start cleaning his house. we then bought him some fish and chips, because he hadn’t had a hot meal in a week. we go back the next day, and help him out some more, and we go back on Saturday to invite him to church. so Sunday comes around and we go to check on him to see if he's coming to church, and it was the most amazing sight I had ever be held. he was ready. he went and took a shower, and he was ready to go to church. he had a white shirt on and a tie. he was a completely different person. He loved church. he was soaking it all in. he just kept on saying this is true. we called him up on Monday, and he had went to the employment office to get a job. he's turning his life around. in the manner of 5 days he went from having no hope in life to having everything going for him. he hasn’t had a drink in 5 days. Layla I know that was only possible through Jesus Christ. IT is a testimony to me that the atonement is real, and it is for everyone. I’m so amazed at heavenly fathers power. Clive now has a baptismal date for the 12th of April.
Layla I know it's true. I know Jesus Christ is my savior. I know god loves us.
-Elder Al-Jamal

3 Grass Lovers:

Diana said...

Wow! That is an awesome story. I'm glad they were able to insist on visiting him that night.

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

What a beautiful story! I'm so happy for your brother to have that experience! How long has he been out? Where exactly is he serving? I used to live there.

Teresa said...

Wow! how amazing, and what a great experince for Clive and Sammy. Thanks for sharing that! Hope ya'll are well.