Wednesday, September 01, 2010

It needs to be said


Flora passed away last Sunday and my husband and I were able to be with her at her last moments. We had to hospitalize her the night before and through out the night and the next day, her health continued to decline until she coded when they were examining her. The doctors were able to bring her back and we were able to spend some time with her and say our good byes before she eventually passed away.

I know many don't really understand the bond a person can have with an animal. I have to be honest that Flora was the only animal that I truly bonded with. She was my responsibility and loved me and my husband unconditionally. There were no questions asked. While some might think doing all that we did and mourning for her is silly, I don't expect them to understand unless they too have experienced the unconditional love and bond that an animal can provide.

Being with her at the end was one of the most sacred experiences that I have had. I truly felt that she fought back to come back to life to see us one last time. More than anything, I think it was for us to have peace of mind. She knew us so well, and her fighting back to see us again was her way of expressing her love. I also have no doubt that she knew that we were there; her eyes lite up and she began to calm down when we entered the room.

I can not say enough about how grateful and compassionate were the staff that we dealt with at the Animal Medical Center. They did everything in their power to help Flora. They answered the million and one questions that I had and never made me feel like I was being a burden. Dr. Tripp (Flora's oncologist) was so patient with us! She answered all of our questions, calmed our concerns, and even had two lengthy conversations with us when she was off duty. She rushed to the clinic when Flora was coding (again she was off duty) and hugged us and cried with us when it was all over. Flora must have won all their hearts over, because everyone in the room was shedding a tear.  Just yesterday we received a card from them that was signed by everyone that we came in contact with at the clinic (it was well over a dozen people and they all wrote a lengthy note expressing their condolences!)

These last few weeks have been incredibly hard and stressful. Both my husband and I have experienced lose of sleep, appetite, and had to go through experiences that I hope that some may never have to go through.  Through out it all, I have been amazed by the love and prayers that I have felt from others. It kept us going. I had no idea how kind people can be, even complete strangers! All for a cat! I can not express how grateful I am for all those who prayed for us, who kept us in their thoughts, who called/text/emailed. You guys are literally the heroes in this story! I am so lucky to be surrounded by such wonderful people!

I am also so grateful for the love and compassion that was shown by my Heavenly Father. I have felt his tender mercies many times through out this trial. I had certain fears that I pleaded with him to not let me experience and he didn't allow them to happen. I know that he knows me personally and that he loves me. What a wonderful blessing to have that knowledge!

Flora, may God be with you until we meet again. You will be missed and never forgotten. You brought so much joy and happiness with the short three years that we had you! We were so lucky :)

10 Grass Lovers:

Megan said...

((((hugs))))

Mammodouy's Stories said...

Oh no. I'm so sorry, Layla. I'll send you a mail. Thinking about you a lot. A big hug even though we've never met.

Lauren said...

Layla, I'm so so sorry. I wish so much I could give you a big hug. Flora had to have been the most loved kitty there ever was. I've shed a few tears for her myself. You are such a wonderful cat mama. Your future pets and kids are so lucky.

Cory and Sarah Lewis said...

Layla. This post made me cry so hard. I am so sorry. I remember when my cat passed and I was holding her. It was one of the most heart breaking moments for me. I am sorry to hear about Flora. She was a good cat. I remember holding her at your place in Foster City. I love you and I know flora is in a better place.

Lindsey Walker said...

This post made me cry. No one really understands the bond you can have with an animal until they have experienced it. And then to lose that animal is heartbreaking! Dan and I went through it last year and it was one of the hardest things we have ever gone through. But now we have 2 cats that we love more than anything and are so happy to have them in our lives. I am so sorry for you two and just know we are praying for you.

ixoj said...

I'm so sorry, Layla! I send a squeeze your way.

CarmelCandy said...

This is beautifully said, Layla. I'm weeping as I read it-and who jumps up to console me but CoCo, my sweet little tortie.
No explanation needed for this bond between animal and human-I'm sure both sides are just grateful to have it.

Myrna said...

Sorry for you loss, Layla and Brock. We love you!

Deanna said...

So sorry Layla and Brock. I know how sad it is to lose a cat that you're close to. I hope you continue to feel the Lord's love for you throughout this time.

Sonja said...

I'm so sorry Layla.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and testimony with us. You are an amazing person with so much love an compassion. I feel blessed to call you my friend.