Thursday, December 04, 2008

I Took the Pledge

It really bugs me how commercialized the holidays have become. I hate how it has become all about Santa and not what the true meaning of Christmas is about.

Early on in our marriage, we (actually it was really just me) decided that when we do have children, they were only going to get a few gifts from Santa instead of a truck load of garbage. Really I wanted to eliminate Santa all together, but knew that wasn't going to fly with other people in our family (like my mom). Oh and if they ever asked "well why did Santa give more gifts to this person than me?", I would say "well, Santa gives more gifts to those who are in need and you have been blessed with so much." or something like that. Maybe I live in a fantasy and it might not work, but whatever.

Any ways, this year a lot of people are doing without due to the economical challenge. We have been blessed with a good job but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be careful. I refuse to go into debt.

I took the pledge to make all of my gifts for people on my list this year. Some of my favorite gifts are homemade. I love the idea that people actually took the time to spark their creative side to make something cool for me.

I've spent hours searching the web for some seriously awesome homemade gift ideas. Here is what I found.

Do you have any other suggestions for ideas? Let me know!

6 Grass Lovers:

Diana said...

You know, I've thought about homemade gifts before (and Richard and I just thought of a great idea that we're going to do together this christmas) but everything homemade seems to be something to hang on a wall. And sometimes, I just don't want to give someone something like that, because what if they don't really like it, or it doesn't match their house, and they don't want to hang it up. I don't want someone to feel obligated to, just so I'll see it when I come over.

Anyway, as for Santa-in my family, we always got one Santa gift. It was the "surprise" gift that was wrapped beautifully in the morning. Everything else was from Mom and Dad, and siblings. I love Christmas, and giving/getting gifts. But, not enough to go in debt for it--for sure.

But-Hopefully i can win a Wii at work.....oh, I am close, so close.

Diana said...

Oh my gosh! I just read the Craft blog, and it gave a link to the lady embroidering all her blogs now. I love it!

Deanna said...

Awesome. We feel the same about Santa and i'm actually writing a post about it right now. It's taking awhile though. Watch for it, cause i'd like your input.

Christine said...

Jonathan and I just made up a little fantasy. We just tell the kids that Santa works for Jesus. Same with the Easter Bunny. But it is always a challenge to limit the number of gifts we give our kids. It sure is a heck of a lot easier out here in Turkey though. Shoppping isn't such a part of my life anymore. Not that I don't want it to be, only because I'm carless and I don't want to drag around massive purchases on busses. Thanks for the craft links!

Myrna said...

This whole Christmas quandry has made Christmas a very difficult holiday for me, and I am afraid that I have grown into not enjoying Christmas very much because of it. Nothing that I have tried has seemed to have worked--Josie doesn't even want to go to church after Christmas because every year her class does the whole bragging about what they got thing, and she dislikes that very much. Heavy sigh. I just haven't handled it very well, but I think what you are doing sounds very good.

Livi said...

Thank you for this post! I can never think of ideas for homemade gifts. I am creative-challenged.